Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP and Web Authentication

amh4y0001
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have few APs which about one year before I was able to manage from the web interface.

Now I couldn't authenticate in GUI using (401 Authentication error). My first thought was if I have forgotten the password, then I reset the IOS to defaults and tried again (Cisco and Cisco, as default user&pass), still same result. Checked almost 4 APs and same problem. I am 100% sure I have used web interface last year... what I am missing or doing wrong now?

I have Cisco Aironet Cap series and I have downgraded the OS to use as independent /autonomos mode.

13 Replies 13

If you use ssh/telnet will that work using something like putty ?

Did you try using different browsers to see it is not your browser side issue ?

HTH

Rasika

Hi and thanks for reply.

Browsers: yes, I have used IE, Edge and Chrome (deleted internet history as well). Checked on different PC as well.

SSH & Telnet: I haven't tested that. I belive I haven't configured SSH on either AP.

Nothing has changed in the configurations, very strange.

It’s most likely the browsers that updated to new security policies. We have seen that with some tools in which only the legacy IE would open the GUI.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

This means shall I check with an old build of Win10 or even Win7, if it makes sence?

Also, what would be a solution /fix for this in future?

To be honest, I just have used a browser that still works. My default is Firefox and chrome but ending up trying edge and the IE.
-Scott

Well, beside Firefox, I have checked all (IE, Edge and Chrome).

Can you check the OS version? Windows 1703, 1709 or 1803?

You can use "winver.exe" command to get this.

I’m running the latest win 10 build as I work at Microsoft. However, we doing have Autonomous AP’s. I was referring to other tools that some browsers fail to load up due to newer security patches. 

-Scott

Strange, I was using the latest build of Windows 10. Will give it a try with Firefox. Also, I may have 1709 or earlier (even Windows 7). Accessing AP is getting challenging due to unknown reason.

I guess the question is if you have updated your browser?
-Scott

No, I haven't. But machine has installed all available MS Updates, perhaps this is what you meant?

Browser have independent updates as MS patches will not patch chrome or Firefox for example. Anyways, you should look at telnet/ssh/console for configuration. I don’t know what or how you will fix the GUI issue.
-Scott

No, I haven't, but the Windows version has been upgraded to the latest build as part of the the Windows updates.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card