Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco cap27021-B-K9 Flash file system failure

We have a a 2702 ap flashing blue and red which indicates a flash system failure.  I have consoled into the ap.  I tried to boot via console and permission denied.  Below is some output.  Is there a way to recover this AP?

IOS Bootloader - Starting system.
flash is writable
Antigua Board
40MB format
Tide XL MB - 40MB of flash
Xmodem file system is available.

IOS Bootloader - Starting system.
flash is writable
Antigua Board
40MB format
Tide XL MB - 40MB of flash
Xmodem file system is available.
flashfs[0]: sector 124, block 312 checksum (0xd6e2 != 0xe2f0)
flashfs[0]: writing to flash handle 0xa7b1320, device 0, offset 0x2700000, length 0x208: Illegal Operation -- setting bit(s) with write operation
flashfs[0]: sector ptr: {0x138, 0x7c}

The system was interrupted or it encountered an error
during initializion of the flash file system. The following
commands will initialize the flash file system and finish
loading the operating system software:

flash_init
ether_init
tftp_init
boot

ap: flash_init
Initializing Flash...
flashfs[0]: sector 40, block 312 checksum (0xf3bb != 0xe2f0)
flashfs[0]: sector 132, block 312 checksum (0xbcca != 0xe2f0)
flashfs[0]: sector 133, block 312 checksum (0xce4f != 0xe2f0)
flashfs[0]: writing to flash handle 0xa7b1320, device 0, offset 0x2700000, length 0x208: Illegal Operation -- setting bit(s) with write operation
flashfs[0]: sector ptr: {0x138, 0x85}
...done Initializing Flash.

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I don't think there is a way to recover this AP because the flash is corrupt , if you have the fsck command available on the ap:
    prompt then use :  fsck flash:
    Or try cold start (from no power) , where sometimes these reparations could be included in the startup sequence , but I have doubts....

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

RxTx
Level 1
Level 1

Recently I had 2 of this AP's which had all firmware files in flash corrupt: recovery and wlc so it will not boot properly.

I had remote console access so I format flash - success then I reprogrammed recovery from tftp and after reboot it join the controller without problem and it load image from there.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

kressirerm@pasd.com wrote:
flashfs[0]: sector 124, block 312 checksum (0xd6e2 != 0xe2f0)
flashfs[0]: sector ptr: {0x138, 0x7c}

The flash is dead. 

2700/3700 is already past End-of-Life so the AP cannot be RMAed.  

Rich R
VIP
VIP

kressirerm@pasd.com that probably means the flash is failing and that you'll ultimately have to recycle the AP.

You can try: format flash:

If that works (meaning some of the flash is still useable) then you use the ROMMON recovery to copy IOS back onto the flash.
https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-knowledge-base/access-point-rommon-recovery-ap-prompt-recovery-example/ta-p/3119495
https://www.mostlynetworks.com/2012/12/recovering-a-cisco-ap-from-rommon/

If the format fails then the flash is unrecoverable and the AP is dead.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card