Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 9800-40 Wireless Controller

lachimip
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am new to Cisco WLC.

I have Cisco Catalyst 9800-40 Wireless Controller and it is running on software version 17.3.4c.

I am told to upgrade to the latest one and I have no idea which is the latest one with no bug in it. I tried to download the software from website, but I saw many different types and I am bit worried that I may use the wrong one. I am attaching here the to show which made me more confused. Can anyone tell me which is the latest and bug-free firmware for my controller( Cisco Catalyst 9800-40 Wireless Controller) and send me a link to download it. I can only upgrade it from GUI if you would like to show me some steps as well.

lachimip_0-1712896273972.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@marce1000 wrote:
the wireless must always be there  , also at night (e.g.)

That is highly debateable and subjective.  Most 9-5 business do not want to implement nightly reboot because they do not know how to automate this.  And most "24-hour" business do not know when they can have a 6 minute WiFi outage.  

Option B:  Do not use 17.9.4/17.9.4a or 17.9.5. 

Option C:  Do nothing and tolerate a rolling outage when the bugs (plural term) kick in.

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Avoid 17.9.4/17.9.4a and/or 17.9.5 for now.  

We are seeing a lot "interesting" bugs.

Which one is to download now? I can see IOS XE software, IOS XE ROMAN software and many more. Under them there I can see the version. Can you recommend the good one.

If the WLC is operating normally, do not upgrade unless it is critically and absolutely necessary.

Because once you will start hitting bug after bug after consecutive bug ... you will have no more hairs to pull.

>...If the WLC is operating normally, do not upgrade unless it is critically and absolutely necessary.
 @Leo Laohoo Note that 17.3.x is EOL , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@marce1000 wrote:
 @Leo Laohoo Whar are those interesting bugs ?

Oh, let me see from my list: 

There is a lot more. 

Currently have a pair of HA SSO controllers on 17.9.5 and I have to fail-over every three weeks because the controller will stop processing anything.  

I have a 9800-L, 2 week uptime, which suddenly "stopped".  As in, no console, all ports stopped.  Just stopped.  We had to cold-reboot the controller.  No crash logs.  Nothing.  

And with 17.9.4/17.9.4a and 17.9.5, I have about 4 TAC Cases.  

I have following WAPs

Catalyst 9124AXI, 9124AXD

●  Cisco IOS XE Software Release 17.5.1/17.3.4 (B Domain) or later         

●  Cisco IOS XE Software Release 17.6.2 or later (For all Regulatory Domains)         

Catalyst C9124AXE

●  Cisco IOS XE Software Release 17.6.2 or later         

Catalyst C9124AXI/C9124AXD Embedded wireless Controller

Cisco IOS XE Software Release 17.6.2 or later         

I guess it means controller upgrade

- Some (newer) AP models  may indeed require an  upgrade of the controller software  checkout 
                 https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

If these are 9124, then upgrade to 17.6.6.  Do not make any attempts to go with 17.6.7 because it is too early to tell.

It is "IOS XE" image for OS upgrade.

>...We are seeing a lot "interesting" bugs.
 @Leo Laohoo Whar are those interesting bugs ?

M.

@marce1000 

Anyone planning to use 17.9.4/17.9.4a or 17.9.5 on 1800/2800/3800/4800/1560 and all Catalyst 9k APs must provisions the APs to reboot daily.  And no exception.  

@Leo Laohoo- Don't forget this one (which you shared in another thread) for your list of "interesting bugs" above: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwj45141

That particular symptom (though not yet officially confirmed by TAC for my case) has affected me with 9130, 9136, and 9166 APs that I know of. Only those, no 2800/3800 series. And only when they have high (>50 or so) client counts regularly; the ones in lower-density situations don't seem to have the issue. I've been rebooting affected ones every Mon, Wed, Fri to keep things going smoothly for the end users. That's been the only debilitating issue I've had so far on 17.9.4a/APS8, with 9800-80s in HA.

There's also this one, which is more of a nuisance than a user functionality issue: https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwe83994

CSCwj45141 has been updated with 17.9.5 added into the Known Affect Release.

>... must provisions the APs to reboot daily
 @Leo Laohoo  Why ??? , that's impossible for most modern businesses because sometimes for production environments , 
                        the wireless must always be there  , also at night (e.g.)
                        Now if you think your statement is important , then explain and elaborate on it , as to why  that is , the added value of the post will becomes much bigger for everyone , 

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card