Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco EWC Network (Maximum APs?)

matthewhongkong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

I am working on a Network company in HK. Since the delivery schedule is extended, I am thinking of another method for client. There should have 300+ APs and Cisco C9800 Controller but the controller cannot be shipped on time. So, I would like to use Cisco Catalyst 9120 for Cisco EWC Network. 

Now there is two problem,

1. Is there any solution can host 300+ APs in one EWC? 

2. After I export EWC configuration, Can I insert to C9800 Controller directly? 

Thanks a lot.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@matthewhongkong wrote:

1. Is there any solution can host 300+ APs in one EWC? 

Definitely not!  The highest is 100 APs (Cisco Mobility Express Scale Limits).  

How about the Q2? Is the configuration are the same or just similar ? 

Thanks a lot. 

eWLC config is only for eWLC.  

Besides, eWLC is a "diet C0ke" in features and functionality of a full-blown WLC.  The config of either platform can never be compatible.

Actually a lot of the wireless config is portable as they're both built on the same IOS-XE code.  But there are some differences between the 2 as well.  So some of the config you could copy/paste between them and the rest you would need to configure from scratch.  Convert one of your APs and play with it so you can see for yourself. 

What about using 9800-CL (on Vmware ESX for example) as long as you don't need to centrally switch the traffic.  You can fire that up instantly, it will just work, up to 6000 APs.  Max central switching throughput on standard server = 2.1Gbps or use flex local switching.  You can achieve 5Gbps central switching with SR-IOV with the right network adapters in the server but that might take as long to source.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-cl-wireless-controller-cloud/nb-06-cat9800-cl-cloud-wirel-data-sheet-ctp-en.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card