cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Mobility Express joining problems

mdow
Level 1
Level 1

I have always been plagued with Mobility Express issues. Usually my 1852e and 1852i's not ever booting into Mobility Express for some reason. 

For some reason now, my new 3802i's won't ever get "into" Mobility Express. And seem to just stay as CAPWAPs. I've tried flashing new images to them and everything. When I try to add/convert them inside my other Mobility Express controller I get the error message "Mode conversion is not applicable for selected APs." 

Any thoughts? I can't add the three 3802i's to my controller and I'm stuck. I opened a ticket with Cisco on my last few ME issues though basically I never got any knowledge for movement from them and eventually just rebooting the AP hundreds of times worked. Though that is not a sustainable solution for my ME issues.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 11.58.45 AM.png

3 Replies 3

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Is it running the same version as the Master?
Or do you want to use the 3800 as a new Master?

Can you attach a console cable and show us the full boot process including an additional 5 minutes?

Of course!
I don't think it is the exact same version as the master. However I can't seem to get a firmware upgrade to "take" on the 3802i.
You can see at one point it talks to my mobility express controller at 192.168.1.40
I want to install several 3802i's and set one them as the new master.

AP Running Image : 8.5.131.0
Primary Boot Image : 8.5.131.0
Backup Boot Image : 0.0.0.0
AP Image type : MOBILITY EXPRESS IMAGE
AP Configuration : MOBILITY EXPRESS CAPABLE

Thank you!

If it's not running the same version, you need a TFTP server in your network, containing the correct image, plus you have to configure the IP address on the master.
See here on how to do this:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-5/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_5/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_5_chapter_0111.html#task_68CD7C747EDE4FBC969C5111D887AFC0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: