Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Virtual Wireless Controller licensing

fgasimzade
Level 4
Level 4

Hello everyone!

We are about to start using vWLC, currently using default 60 days evaluation license

There are couple of questions regarding licensing:

1. Will the serial number change if we migrate the virtual machine from one host to another or if it rehosts automatically?

2. If yes, what to do with the license? It is tied to the serial number as far as I know. Is there any way to generate a new license when the serial number changes?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So the hostname shoudln't change, unless you delete then readd the VM itself.

If for some reason that does need to happen, you can go to http://www.cisco.com/go/license and do a rehost of the current licenses to the new hostname/serial number

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So the hostname shoudln't change, unless you delete then readd the VM itself.

If for some reason that does need to happen, you can go to http://www.cisco.com/go/license and do a rehost of the current licenses to the new hostname/serial number

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

I have received a license for vWLC but I entered the wrong Serial Number during the registration process and I have just realized it. I tried to rehost the license on cisco.com, entered UDI and correct serial number, received the new license and when I try to install it I received this error:

Failed license installation at index:0 : UDI in license line does not match with the local udi

My current UDI is AIR-CTVM-K9, but during the rehost process this UDI was rejected and I used L-LIC-CTVM-UPG. I successfully received the new license file, but I can not install it with the error described before.

Is there anything we can do about it?

you can try to rehost it online.  If that doesn't work, open a Licensing TAC case and they will be able to get this fixed for you.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Hi Stephen,

How to rewoke license in next situation?

Old vwlc controler changed serial number when it has changed host UUID. ( it is virtaul machine )

So now when he changed serial number licenses become non-valid on new vwlc controler , new virtual machine .

How to revoke licenses when i dont have old  UUID from virtual machine and old serial number.

Thanks

VZ

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card