Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco wireless mesh ap does not connect to nearest root ap

shrijan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

May I please know why the Mesh AP is not parenting to the closest Root AP?

Thanks.

Regards,

shrijan

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is the client device who decides where to connect.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Have you taken a look at the mesh guide to understand how mesh aps choose a parent? The guide also explains how to define a parent ap. The closest doesn’t always mean the best, especially if there is interference or non line of sight, etc. read the guide or look at some blogs on mesh.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

is there any tool or way that i can identify this particular device is interfering with my Mesh AP?

Before let say with this concept A (as Mesh), B (as Root), C (as Mesh), D (as Root), A used to parent with B. But now A is parenting with D. All the devices are in one straight line let say in my area.

Thanks.

Shrijan

Well typically you would perform an outdoor survey to capture that information. You can also look at your RAP and see if that shows anything in the UI/cli. Here is a link that you can reference. Again, it might be interference or something else. You always can look at the connection rate and then move the ap to a preferred parent then look again at the connection rate and compare.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-3/config-guide/b_cg83/troubleshooting_mesh_access_points.html
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

shrijan
Level 1
Level 1

I found this solution..

Somehome my root AP was in different channel. Let say under wireless>Radios>802.11a/n/ac, the channel was in 36 and my Mesh AP was in 149 channel. Once i changed to 149 channel to my Root AP, the Mesh AP joint the Root AP as parent.

Thank You All..

Shrijan

You mean this was fixed with Wireless AP issue - by changing the channel.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card