cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Wireless

cristomike2
Level 1
Level 1

At my company we are currently using a Cisco WLC 5508 to manage our wireless network across 2 dozen+ office locations across the US and Canada.

We're starting to run up against the license limit of WAP's on the current controller. We're in the process of adding another (at least) dozen sites to our infrastructure, with 1-4 AP's per site. After looking at the cost to purchase additional seats on the controller we've begun looking at other options for our wireless needs.

Has anyone here run into this issue? And what was your solution? Did you pony up the cash for the additional seats on the WLC? I have trouble fathoming managing 75 WAP's without a single pane of glass to control them..

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Have a look at Mobility Express/eWLC. This turns an AP into a mini-WLC while still functioning as an AP.

But be aware that eWLC requires DNA licensing for each AP so analyse and compare the costs carefully. From https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/q-and-a-c67-743152.pdf
What are the licensing requirements for the Embedded Wireless Controller?
Cisco Catalyst 9100 Access Points bought with the EWC software will have Cisco DNA term-based licensing.
Do I need Smart Account for EWC? Yes, a Smart Account is required for an EWC deployment.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card