Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC 9800 CL firmware downgrade

Cheah Lit Thor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Expert,

I'm using WLC 9800 CL and i recently downgrade the firmware from 17.5.1 to 17.3.3 due to some voice traffic keep having call quality issue, after i downgrade the firmware to 17.3.3 solve my problem then i found after few days(not sure exactly when it happened) the WLC firmware automatically revert back to 17.5.1, may i know why it behave like this?

Before i downgrade the firmware to 17.3.3 i did deleted the unused files in the flash and only did the downgrade.

Appreciate some one can share with me any step i miss out ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I hope you did it via GUI.

Did you commit your changes after the downgrade? if not it may roll back to previous firmware versions (with default 6-8hr auto abort).

Here is the CLI command to run once you upload the image to flash (assuming 17.3.4 is the code)

c9800#install add file bootflash:C9800-CL-universalk9.17.03.04.SPA.bin activate commit

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is you IOS-XE installed in install mode or bundle mode?

Please post the output for the below

• show run | include boot
  • show boot
  • dir

Once i get the output then will send it here Thanks.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is there a DNAC appliance?

Nope just vWLC it self alone.Thanks

I hope you did it via GUI.

Did you commit your changes after the downgrade? if not it may roll back to previous firmware versions (with default 6-8hr auto abort).

Here is the CLI command to run once you upload the image to flash (assuming 17.3.4 is the code)

c9800#install add file bootflash:C9800-CL-universalk9.17.03.04.SPA.bin activate commit

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Yes i did it via GUI, am i still need to commit it after the upgrade although using GUI?

Thanks

Yes, usually once 9800 reload, you will have to go there & commit your upgrade via GUI. Otherwise, it will roll back after timer expires (i think 6hr by default)

Rasika

Hi,

Do you mean after I'm upload and install the new firmware through GUI then it will reboot, after it come back then i have to go to the software management to click commit?

Thanks

Yes, that is the way.

Please post the complete output to the command "sh log on uptime".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: