Views
Helpful
Replies

Client Count reports from WCS

sreejith_r
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team;

I have a local controller and guest controller running with 7.0.235.0 and WCS running with 7.0.172.0. I am able to get the client count report from the local controller with the number of clients , but the client count report from the guest controller is always showing client count as 0.

Could you please share your thoughts.

Thanks & Regards

Sreejith R

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe in later code versions the anchored clients do show up in the anchor WLC as a mobile client. I haven't touched v7.0.x in a while to remember. You are anchoring the guest SSID correct?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes,  So whats the option.

We are using 4404 controller and WCS

i think in that series we have only two releases 7.0.235.3 & 7.0.240.0. Any of this will help ?

You can always try to upgrade to the latest v7.0.240.0. Are you seeing the issue from WCS or actually from the anchor WLC. Can you post your show WLAN and your show mobility status from both WLC's.

Here is a compatibility matrix as you will have to upgrade WCS also. WCS should always be at the same code as the WLC or a higher code version.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html#wp103455

-Scott

Dear Fella;

If this is the issue from the WCS , then we will not get the report from the local controller as well.  The tunnel from the local controller to the foreign controller is up and i can see the client counts in the guest contoller as well.

If we are preparing the report of Guest Controller from WCS  , we are not getting any client counts. Its always Zero.

If we are preparing the report of Local Controller from WCS , its fine with the number of clients.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your WCS code is not compatible with the WLC code and that can be your issue. See the link I posted. If your WLC is on v7.0.253.0, your WCS should be on v7.0.230.0 or newer.

-Scott

I understand your point. But the confusing part for me is that the report from the local controller is perfectly working fine.

That's the reason I didn't suspect the WCS

That shouldn't be confusing. The WCS isn't compatible with how the WLC firmware is presenting its data to wcs and this is why WCS is not showing anything.

This is normal and the rule of thumb is to also ways have your WCS and MSE at the same or higher level than the WCS. The compatibility chart is meant to tell you that this version of WCS will work with these version of WLC code.

The report is a small issue, if you try to push out templates when the versions are not compatible, then you will have a mess on your hands. Just upgrade your WCS and your reporting will work. If you upgrade your WLC to v7.0.240.0, then make sure your WCS is at v7.0.240.0 also.

-Scott

Hello;

Even with NCS we are not getting the client count report from Guest Controller. So its not related to the compatibility issue.

Open a TAC case and see what they say.

-Scott

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Sreejith,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

Client Reports

The report structure has changed in Release 6.0 or later:

•The Client Association and Detailed Client Report are replaced by the Client Session report.

•Any saved Detailed Client reports are migrated to the Client Session report.

•Client Association Data from 5.1 or earlier is not migrated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note After migration to 6.0 or later, you cannot see previous Client Association information that was presented in the Client Association Report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

•The Client Count report that was under 802.11 Scaling in release 5.2 is now consolidated into one Client Count report.

The following types of client reports are available:

•Busiest Clients

•Client Count

•Client Sessions

•Client Summary

•Client Traffic Stream Metrics

•Client Traffic Stream Metrics

•Unique Clients

•V5 Client Statistics

Hope this will help you.

Hello Abhishek;

The report is working fine with the local controllers. Only the issue is from the guest controller.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card