Views
Helpful
Replies

Client DHCP not working

koksm
Level 1
Level 1

Here's the situation;

4402 controller (2 actually), AP-manager and manager in vlan 1, untagged, native vlan of trunked switchport set to 1. Not using LAG at this time. See access points, so that works (DHCP in VLAN 1).

Got 3 additional data VLAN's. Created 3 dynamic interaces with IP's in that specific VLAN, and 3 WLAN's. Have 3 DHCP server addresses (one DHCP server per VLAN) and i configured these server addresses on the dynamic interface, not on the WLAN.

Clients get associated, but cannot get an IP address.

Should this work or should i configure the DHCP server on the WLAN's instead?

And does a 2003 server needs config to accept DHCP relay?

2 Replies 2

koksm
Level 1
Level 1

Must found out that the DHCP server is behind another VLAN. So the clients are put in VLAN 19, and the DHCP server is available in VLAN 2. Do we need a DHCP server in VLAN 19?

Hi Friend,

You need not have DHCP server on every VLAN. You can have one DHCP server with multiple pools for different subnet and can attach your DHCP server on one VLAN as you have done in your case on vlan 2.

You can simply have layer 3 device doing routing between your data vlans and vlan having DHCP server.

When you specify your DHCP server IP address on your interfaces which you have configured on controller it will play a role of relay agent.

If you routing is fine between your vlans and you have specified your dhcp server ip address under interface configuration on controller it should work.

Tell me if I got your problem or not and if not can you please explain your problem again.

Regards,

Ankur

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card