Views
Helpful
Replies

Client Roaming between APs

robbyde0100
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have some Cisco 2800 APs (AP2802E) setup as Flex connect with a AIR-CTVM-K9. 

The problem I'm having is clients are dropping a lot of pings when it roams to a specific AP, CWA09P, I think my client is going through a full roam everytime it changes AP meaning the client is probably not 802.11r capable??

I've attached a debug

The WLAN is setup for a range of clients and we use ISE in the back end to auth clients/users.

one the messages I'm concerned about is:

which is not XOR roam capable

Should I diable Neighbor List on 11k?? Would this cause issues else where?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You should try the most basic settings first which means to disable all those features and then when you get an idea if that helped, slowly add features to see what or when it breaks. With FlexConnect, you should also verify the wlan to vlan mapping and also make sure the switch port is still configured as a trunk. I have seen the mappings disappear and or someone accidentally changes the wrong switchoort.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the suggestion, I think the issue must be either site specific (AP) or device specific (RF Gun) as we have multiple sites using the same WLAN and only this site has complaned.

I'm planning a trip to test for myself and potentially with multiple devices.

My issue is if I change the WLAN then it will affect all sites, can I check on the WLC how many decives use 802.11k?

I've checked the tunks and every vlan is there.  The WLAN is specifeced in the flex group but its a different vlan as ISE changes the vlan over from 152 to 153 for this device type.

I see. Well make sure that ISE is placing the device in the right vlan also. Take a look at the ap density and overlap. That can also be an issue in warehouse type environments, since you mentioned RF guns.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

As what Scott is say, "make is simple". This means disable the fancy stuff like 802.11k, v and r.
Make sure the wireless clients' wireless NIC are updated or up-to-date because the wireless clients themselves make the ultimate roaming decision (and not the AP).
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card