Views
Helpful
Replies

client roaming

Anjana A
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

In our infra we are using 3800 & 9130(whih were newly deployed) AP's. Users while roaming between the access points facing disconnection. 

for 9130 do we need to enable any specific settings for roaming? since both the access points are of different models, is it the reason for it?

WLC code - 8.10.151.0

WLC model - 5520

AP mode - Flex Conect

Regards,

Anjana.

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure wireless coverage is good (usually achieved by wireless site survey) , clients (may) need updated drivers , : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html (e.g.). For the rest you can do client debugging on the controller and have these analyzed with : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-debug-analyzer , you may also have the controller configuration checked by https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/ , for that it needs the output of show run-config with no prompts in between , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

No specific setting on 9130 for roaming. 

Did you test and verify if a client roam from 9130 to 9130 it does not have that experience ? You can "debug client {client_mac_add}" output and check any noticeable messages to give you some indication what's happening while client is roaming.

As a good practice, it is recommend not to mix different model of AP in the same area that could leads into problem like you described.

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

- What type of WLAN authentication and what features enabled on the WLAN?
- Upgrade to latest version of code to eliminate known bugs - see TAC recommended link in my signature below.

varma10
Level 1
Level 1

Were you able to find out the root cause or resolve this issue? I am also facing the same issue in my environment. I have mix of 9130's with 3802's attached to 9800-40 running on 17.3.6 code. I have noticed that the user (both MacBook and Windows) is re-authenticating in between 9130 WAPs even with 802.11r enabled.

I was able to resolve the issue after I disabled the Tri-band Radio on 9130 WAPs.

mmohammed
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Anjana,
Firstly different models of AP's are not suggested to be used in the same environment for obvious reasons. Apart from that roaming majorly depends on the client itself much more than the access points. Try updating the drivers and enabling fast roaming on devices to overcome this issue.

Hi Mohammed, 

I did not have a mixed environment with AP models. My entire floor has 9130s installed, and I have fast roaming enabled as well. It has been continuously disconnecting the users. Tri-band Radio disablement helped me resolve the issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card