Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring HA with WLC 5508

IT Services
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon,

I have a pair of WLC 5508's. I am installing 7.4.100 on them and they are properly licensed. I am looking to preconfigure these and ship them to our site.

My questions are:

1)  How much configuration do I need to setup on the secondary controller (ie. same SSID, interaces, ap group, etc...)?

2)  Do I need to configure Mobility groups for this HA Cluster?

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The only thing that needs to be done is the code and certificates if any on the HA secondary. Everything else is done on the primary.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hey Scott. Thanks for the information.

How about mobility groups? Is it a requirement? We wont have any other "Secondary\Tertiary" controllers being used for this environment, this will be strictly an HA deployment.

There are no mobility groups betwen the HA pairs.everything is performed on the primary except for the certificate.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Hey Scott, sorry for hijacking this thread, but am I understanding you correctly in that you can configure a pair of 5508's in a HA setup so that any config configured on the primary controller gets mirrored to the secondary controller?

If so, our's is not setup like that and is causing us headache and I was wondering if there is any documentation / guides out there that would help me reconfigure our environment?

thanks

Mario

The WLC HA guide specifically states that for using HA. The only thing that doesn't get pushed to the secondary HA pair is any certificate. So the biggest issue you have now is that you have to break HA.

Now this is not when using N+1 but when using HA and the RP ports are connected directly.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Naveen Kumar
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

In answers of your questions, I want to share a WLC  High Availability Deployment Guide, Please visit:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card