Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Sniffer Channel Assignment via SNMP in Cisco Catalyst 9800

Tibor Weber
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I am trying to change the Sniffer Channel Configuration in Cisco Catalyst 9800-L Wireless Controller 17.3.3. Configuration includes the Enable, Channel and Server IP. I tried a couple of sequence including the one that worked on the 5500.

These are

• enable admin status
  • enable capture
  • set capture channel
  • set capture server

Now it seems none of the writes are working, but there are no failures reported. When data is read back, then obviously it is not updated. I tried different sequences, but I am pretty sure I am missing something.

Is there somebody who can give me some hint how to continue?

Br,

// Tibor Weber

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- 9800 XE code and or releases have still lots of limitations considering snmp functionalities , presuming particular feature not (yet) available.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for the answer. I was assuming something like this. I've checked some of the release notes, but didn't find any related information. There are some newer version, but this feature wasn't mentioned in those.

Would be nice if somebody could confirm this presumption.

Br,

// Tibor

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I can confirm - most AireOS MIBs are not supported at all and many only in a limited way.

You should re-write your system to use restconf instead - that enables you to do anything you can do on the CLI.

Thanks for the answer. I am not familiar with the restconf so I will check it out. There are also modules to use the CLI. I need to study both. What are the main benefits of using the restconf? We have a very limited use case for now as the rest of the things we need seems to be working via SNMP.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

restconf is a well established protocol based on the yang models with plenty of support for it in tools.  The results will always be in a standardised format.  Of course you should still test for any changes in new releases and follow the changes and updates to the models.

Using CLI requires explicit support for the commands you're running and will potentially break any time Cisco makes a small cosmetic change to the CLI output or commands.

Use whichever works best for you.

Tibor Weber
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks. I got it. I will dive into these methods and figure out how to continue.

Thanks again...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: