Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring WLC with another

vishalpatil86
Level 1
Level 1

Hell,

I have currently Ciso4404 WLC installed which is in vlan4001 with the 172.16.10.0/24 subnet

I have bought Cisco 5508 WLC recently as AP count is increased... Can I install it in same vlan and subnet? If yes what would be the setting for APs to join... If no how can I configure it with other vlan and subnet..

pls help... let me know if you know any furter info.

Thanks,

Vishal

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Vishal:

You can configure the new router in same subnet or in different subnet. It is up to you.

Just make sure the APs can discover the new WLC as well if APs are not already on same subnet as the WLC.

If APs and both WLCs on same subnet then APs can discover both WLCs via broadcast and there should be no problem.

If APs on different subnet though anad they use another method to discover the WLC (DHCP option 43, DNS...etc) what you need to do is to make sure the new WLC is also added to the discovery method.

If you use option 43, make sure to add the new WLC management interface ip address to the option 43 list.

If you are using DNS, make sure to add an entry for the management interface IP address on the DNs.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Vishal:

You can configure the new router in same subnet or in different subnet. It is up to you.

Just make sure the APs can discover the new WLC as well if APs are not already on same subnet as the WLC.

If APs and both WLCs on same subnet then APs can discover both WLCs via broadcast and there should be no problem.

If APs on different subnet though anad they use another method to discover the WLC (DHCP option 43, DNS...etc) what you need to do is to make sure the new WLC is also added to the discovery method.

If you use option 43, make sure to add the new WLC management interface ip address to the option 43 list.

If you are using DNS, make sure to add an entry for the management interface IP address on the DNs.

HTH

Amjad

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card