Helpful
Replies

Confused on WCS Licnese Upgrade

Dennis Kline
Level 1
Level 1

I have one WCS running 7.0.164.0

It has a "plus" (permananet) license for 50 APs

I need to increase my AP count, so I have obtained an additional licnese for 100 APs from Cisco.

When  I attempt to upload the new licnnese the WCS, I get an error telling me I must first have a Base License.

I would have thought that if the WCS initially came with a Plus license, then the Base License would already be included.

What am I missing ?

Image1.jpg

.....dennis.kline@yahoo.com...(It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ramkris2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dennis,

WCS licenses can't be mixed. The stacking would need to be happen in a certain order. In this case, since you already

have a PLUS license only PLUS licenses can be stacked on top of it. The right part for this would be WCS-PLUS-100 whereas you have been sold WCS-PLUS-UPG-100 (UPG is an upgrade license which goes only top of a BASE license). You would need to exchange this for the right number & then host the license to get it added to WCS.

Hope this Clarifies a bit.

Ram

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marc.boxhoorn
Level 1
Level 1

You buyed the wrong license.

Becouse the current license is plus you have to add plus licenses.

There is no way to combine these licenses in WCS.

When you upgrade to NCS it is possible to upgrade both types of licenses.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you open the .lic file, there should still be a base AP count for 100.  There is no just "plus" license, you still need the base, then platform up to the plus.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Dennis Kline
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, thanks guys.  I'll go back to my Cisco account rep and beat him up 

.....dennis.kline@yahoo.com...(It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber)

ramkris2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dennis,

WCS licenses can't be mixed. The stacking would need to be happen in a certain order. In this case, since you already

have a PLUS license only PLUS licenses can be stacked on top of it. The right part for this would be WCS-PLUS-100 whereas you have been sold WCS-PLUS-UPG-100 (UPG is an upgrade license which goes only top of a BASE license). You would need to exchange this for the right number & then host the license to get it added to WCS.

Hope this Clarifies a bit.

Ram

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card