Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert AP Mode from 50 AP's simultaneously

leon311
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

How can I change the mode of 50 Cisco 1142N-K9 access points from Leightweight to Autonomous at the same time. I also have a Catalyst 3650 48 port PoE and a WLC 4400, I have tried a few things but I have only managed to do one AP at a time and when I tried to flash two at the same time the second AP showed a tftp timeout.
Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? I am using the program tftpd64.

I would appreciate any answers. I am just new to Cisco and am trying to educate myself.

Thanks in advance
Leon

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you have a copy of the Autonomous IOS?

Hello, thanks for the quick answer. Yes, I have it on the TFTP server (tftpd64). I can see that if an AP is downloading already and if I connect another one, the second one will try to initiate a connection (after holding the mode button) but doesn't transfer the image in the end. The logs of the server say that it timed out waiting for ACK block #1. It seems to me that all the APs will try to use the same address, 10.0.0.1 .

Console into the AP and, in enable mode, do the following: 

debug capwap console cli
del /f /r nvram:startup-config
clear capwap private
del /f /r flash:.
archive download-sw /no-reboot tftp://<TFPP_IP_ADDRESS>/filename.tar

You will need to configure the IP address for each AP before starting the TFTP download.
And you'll need to reload after the download or use the /reboot option with the download.
"archive download-sw" downloads the image, extracts it to flash and sets the boot variable for you.

Yes that's because you're using the mode button so every AP is trying to use the exact same factory default recovery config!

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Do you really intend to keep those ancient AP's alive for business use (?)
    Better look into : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/access-point-controller-selector.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card