Replies

Copying a new IOS image into an AP801

Aaron
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Starting a new thread from a customer's question:

turnera Oct 23, 2012 2:40 PM

Aaron,

Thanks  for this information. I struggle with how to install an IOS into an AP.  And I am still not very clear on how this is to be accomplished. I have  an 881W and have downloaded what I believe to be the latest IOS for  this AP (ap801-k9w7-tar.152-2.JA). Problem is that I have not really  found a good or at least clear set of instructions in how to load this  IOS into my AP, so I have not done that yet.

Does  the IOS that is currently installed into the AP remain after an update  or does the new IOS overwrite the current IOS. And how does one recover  from a, heaven forbid, faulty installation. What is the fallback from  that. I'd appreciate any information you can point me to to help me  better understand how I can update my AP. Because, right now, I am most  certainly hesitant to even attempt an upgrade.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Copy the IOS to the 881W router and enable TFTP on the router (command:  tftp flash:IOS.tar).

Remote into the WAP and run the "arch download-sw tftp:/".

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Copy the IOS to the 881W router and enable TFTP on the router (command:  tftp flash:IOS.tar).

Remote into the WAP and run the "arch download-sw tftp:/".

With much trepidation, I went ahead and installed the new ap IOS and I am now running ap801-k9w7-tar.152-2.JA with no problems so far. Thanks for your help.

Aaron, if you are watching this you can mark this as answered. Thanks.

Thanks for following up - and thanks to leolaohoo for the answer!

Glad to be of some form of assistance. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card