Views
Helpful
Replies

Delays when reauthenticating

kevin.willey
Level 1
Level 1

All,

Using 1200 APs with non-Cisco clients. We seem to have significant delays (30-90 sec) when a client roams from one AP to another.

What system settings can be adjusted to minimize these delays?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

dixho
Level 6
Level 6

You need to provide more information. What kind of encryption and authentication type do you use? What is the operating system?

In general, roaming is initiated by the wireless client. If you use 802.1x authentication, it usually takes 500msec to a couple of seconds. There are too many possibilities here: bad roaming logic on the wireless clients and bugs on the supplicant.

I also faced similar problem.

I am using HP Centrino Wireless Client and Cisco 1200 AP. Authentiate with Microsoft IAS.

I am using PEAP with WPA - TKIP encryption.

When move from AP to AP, connection is loss and cannot reauthenticate. What could be the problem

Are you using XP SP2 or not? There is a well known Microsoft problem that re-authentication does not work if fast re-connect is enable on the Microsoft supplicant.

There are also a number of problems on the Microsoft supplicant in SP1. I suggest you to use SP2 and disable fast re-connect.

Can you advise on the well known problem in Microsoft. I cannot find anything similar.

I only found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826942

That's it. You need to apply the hotfix in your posting. The hotfix in your posting actually lists a number of problem.

The hotfix have already been apply. But still suffers delay in associating with AP.

Any idea.

What is the make and model of wireless client adapters? There may be some problem with the wireless client adapter, like CSCef00136 with Cisco CB21AG card.

You probably need a wireless sniffer trace to find out.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card