Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design Offer

Hi ;

We are working on a new network design.

I am wondering what are the advantages / disadvantages of using Wism / Seperate Controller.I couldnt have found any info about this.

The biggest advantage of the Wism is , the backplane of the linecard that directly connected to chassis (20 or 40 Gbps)

I really want to know that , what cant i do with that.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
the backplane of the linecard that directly connected to chassis (20 or 40 Gbps)

Depending on where you are looking at this from, but this is already irrelevant since the introduction of the WLC 5760.

In my personal opinion, whether you should get a WiSM-2 or a separate WLC chassis revolves around "real estate" space in your data cabinet.

If you have, for example, a 6500 (Sup720 or Sup2T) and you want to fill this with WiSM, then this is a vaible solution.   If you don't have a 6500, then you need something that will support six 10 Gbps SFP+ links.   This could either be a 6500, a 4500R+E/4500X, a Nexus 7K/6K/5K.

We will possibly have a 6500 chassis in this design.But i am just afraid of a kind of sentence that involves

"This feature doesnt support on 2100 , 4400 and WisM modules" or etc.

You know these type of sentences can not be found on the datasheet , you can only find them inside the config guide / tech notes etc.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add to what Leo mentioned....

Some of the factors are also cost, AP count, local or FlexConnect, and like Leo mentioned, real estate. I have install with clients using a 5508 and only wanting to use one or two gigabit uplinks with 300+ AP's in local mode with no issues. I have clients that use all 8 gigabit ports with less than 100 APs also. As long as your motor the links and your not hitting capacity, you might not need the 20-40gb backplane. Now if you environment is like a convention center and you need to meet the client association per WLC, then the WiSM2 might be your answer or the 8500. So feature wise is depends on the code and of course if its a vWLC or a FlexConnect that is meant for FlexConnect APs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yes you are right , choosing the right model is depends on the case.I just want to learn that , does wism2 has a feature loss in the software ? You know there are some limitations on vWLC.

All that info is in the release guide for the device. Too many to list from my iPhone.

This link is a comparison between all the WLCs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2706/at_a_glance_c45-652653.pdf

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card