cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Detecting idleness on the 9800

JWHolm81891
Level 1
Level 1

A colleague asked me yesterday to explain how the 9800 knows when a client is being idle and I explained it is when frames are no longer being sent, but after some Googling and trying to drill down to explain it better today, I'm not sure that's right. So, for the idle timer on the controller, can someone explain to me how does the controller detect idleness from the client?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

may be this help you (depends on config)

NoteIf you do not configure a idle-threshold the client needs to send any amount of traffic within the idle-timeout period to not get disconnected. If you configure a idle-threshold, the client must send that amount of bytes within the idle-timeout to not get disconnected (I.e. You configure a idle-threshold of 10 bytes and a idle-timeout of 30 seconds, the wireless clients needs to send at least 10 bytes of traffic every 30 seconds to not be disconnected from the network).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213970-catalyst-9800-wireless-controllers-commo.html#anc22

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

may be this help you (depends on config)

NoteIf you do not configure a idle-threshold the client needs to send any amount of traffic within the idle-timeout period to not get disconnected. If you configure a idle-threshold, the client must send that amount of bytes within the idle-timeout to not get disconnected (I.e. You configure a idle-threshold of 10 bytes and a idle-timeout of 30 seconds, the wireless clients needs to send at least 10 bytes of traffic every 30 seconds to not be disconnected from the network).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213970-catalyst-9800-wireless-controllers-commo.html#anc22

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

JWHolm81891
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you very much for that! 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card