cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Associated to AP, but can't ping device

JonathanBerg712
Level 1
Level 1

So I've got an unusual issue happening and I wanted to see if anyone else experienced this.  We have 2 Cisco 5508 Controllers with about 110 APs connected to each controller.  We're running code 8.0.110.0.  The APs are all LAP1142's.  The devices are thin clients with an Intel Wireless card installed.  Every now and then, I come across an issue where the thin client shows that it roams and associates with the next AP, but all of sudden there is no communication.  I can't ping the device or anything until it roams to another AP.  I've been looking at logs and stats from the controller on the AP and the client itself which it seems to not have much of a difference.  The only way I have been able to fix this is replace the AP.  I replace the AP, put it in the correct group, hostname, etc... when the client roams to it, I can communicate.  It's very unusual behavior.  I was curious to find out if anyone else had experienced this unusual phenomenon, or perhaps maybe there's a bug in the 8.0.110.0 code that is causing this behavior?  Maybe the IOS code in the switches it's connected too? 

1 correlation I have noticed in the 2 different areas this has occurred in is that the 1 thing that is consistent is that these APs were connected to 2960 switches with 12.2(55)SE code.  Maybe a bug in this code on the switches on the APs?

JB

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The devices are thin clients with an Intel Wireless card installed. 

Try and disable 802.11n on the client side and see if this improves anything.  Force the wireless client to operate in 802.11a radio only. 

Can you specify the exact model of the wireless card and the version of the drivers?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card