Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP and web authentication

heboo4222
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have WLC 5508, Software Version  7.0.235.0, its integrated with LDAP for web authentication

The DHCP configured on the controller.

Problem: User  who have not been authenticated still consume IP from the pool , I need to release this ip after certain time . is it possible?

regards

10 Replies 10

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I always recommend avoiding the DHCP server on the WLC.

But, to anwser your question. You would need to make small lease times OR increase your scope size.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
ā€Ž"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I noticed its your first post on CSC ... Welcome

ā€Ž"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

welcome George

thanks for your reply

Is not there similar  command for unauthenticated user ?

config wlan webauth-exclude 1 enable

I have to be honest I never seen this command before. But here is what I found ..

config wlan webauth-exclude wlan_id {enable | disable}

The default value is disabled. This command is applicable when you configure the internal DHCP scope on the controller. By default, when the web authentication timer expires for a guest user, the user can immediately reassociate to the same IP address before another guest user can acquire it. If there are many guest users or limited IP addresses in the DHCP pool, some guest users might not be able to acquire an IP address.

When you enable this feature on the guest WLAN, the guest user's IP address is released when the web authentication policy timer expires and the guest user is excluded from acquiring an IP address for 3 minutes. The IP address is available for another guest user to use. After 3 minutes, the excluded guest user can reassociate and acquire an IP address, if available.

Based on this it states when the policy expires. But your asking about unauthenticated users. Hummmmm

Not sure .. my hunch is no..

Well i guess it comes down to when does the policy expire. Does it start when you connect and get an IP or when you accept the guest page.

Have you tried this yourself yet ?

as cisco documentation its start when accept the guest page .

i will try it .

stop back and let us know what you find ...

After I configured this command

config wlan webauth-exclude 1 enable

I have two cases

1-     (( The client has been associated and not authenticated ))

after 5 minutes the client disassociated and his status (monitor/ clients ) is Excluded 

the ip  become free  and the client cannot associated again , afte 3 minutes he can associate and take new IP

2-    (( The client has been associated and  authenticated ))

nothing happened

what he mean by  ((web authentication policy timer expires)) ?

i chang the session timers to infinite  or specific time  but same behavior.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The only way around this issue is to in erase your subnet size and or try to lower your lease time like George mentioned. Since WebAuth is layer 3 authentication it requires clients to have an IP address. Your not the only one who has this issue, but it has been addressed in the two options mentioned. There is nothing on the wlc that you can do to release or prevent device that will jot be using the wireless to associate and get an ip. Many devices now auto join and that is the biggest issue. Hope this helps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

yea, you will need to either not broadcast the SSID thus hiding the network OR open up the scope OR limit the lease times. Or a combination of all the above.