Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP for APs

Hi,

I'm new to WiFi implementation and have 1 question. Why we should use ascii or hex with option under DHCP for the AP to discover the WLC

I think as they are both in the same L2 LAN. AP should discover the controller without adding any option under DHCP

I have another question:

Can I limit the bandwidth per SSID using the controller ? as to define 5 M for Guest, 10 M for Managers SSID and the rest for all other users

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You do not need to implement any option 43 or DNS for discovery if the AP’s are on the same subnet as the controller management. As far as bandwidth limiting, the answer is yes and no, depending on your controller and the code you are running. Look at the configuration guide for the code you are running and that will tell you if it’s possible and how to do it.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply

Actually the AP didn't discover the WLC until we use option with asci under DHCP

I was connecting WLC 5520 configured with Trunk port with native vlan for Mgmt on the same switch with AP 1815i configured with access vlan the same as Mgmt vlan. Should we do anything after the initial wizard or there is something wrong !

Also I though the bandwidth control is a feature for all Cisco WLCs. So is our 5520 support bandwidth control per SSID

Thanks

Your setup is fine. Dhcp option is not required if on the same subnet, but can be a bug. As far as the 5520’s they do support bandwidth throttling, it’s the smaller controller that had limited features. The 5520 is a great platform for large environments and should work well for you.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card