cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP for Wireless Client

cyee
Level 1
Level 1

I am struggling with an AP1200 install ... clients associating with the AP cannot obtain their IP addresses via DHCP.

I have not been able to discover how to config AP to provide DHCP services. The AP is connected to a PIX firewall via ethernet, the PIX of which does provide DHCP. The clients, however, don't appear to have their wireless traffic pass-thru the AP to the PIX and get their IP assignments.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA

2 Replies 2

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

By default, access points are configured to receive IP settings from a DHCP server on your network. You can also configure an access point to act as a DHCP server to assign IP settings to devices on both your wired and wireless LANs.For information on how to configure AP to provide DHCP service refer to the following document.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080184a86.html#1060653

I have a very similar problem, even with a local dhcp service. DHCP seems to break after a while, for example.

I rename SSID and configure WEP - DHCP still works

I add a new SSID without security and with IP access filters - DHCP still works

I attempt to add EAP, change my mind and backout. Now, strangly, DHCP doesn't work on either SSID !

Perhaps it's an IOS issue ? Currently running 12.3(2)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card