cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP option for 1142 N Access Points

vancamt76
Level 1
Level 1

I recently purchased an 1142 N AP for testing on our network. It is an AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 and our controllers are running version 4.2.62.0. I was trying to set up the scope in our DHCP server for option 43, but I do not see this model. We are running microsoft DHCP on a 2003 server. Any suggestions?

6 Replies 6

rprigge
Level 1
Level 1

From what I understand the 1140 series uses CAPWAP. CAPWAP is supported in controller code release 5.2 (see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1140/quick/guide/ap1140getstart.html#wp27161 notes). I was having troubles discovering the new 1142's that we just received until I upgraded to 5.2. I do use DNS discovery rather than DHCP.

Correct. Cisco 1142 LWAPP access points will work on 5.2 and new code. They are not supported on older code.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks for the information. I had been doing some research after I posted and came to the same conclusion. I will inevitably need to upgrade my controllers. As far as I understand the upgrade is seemless and will not require any downtime to our wireless infrastructure. Is this what you observed when you upgraded your controllers?

Thanks

No in fact you will have some downtime. Remember, your APs are on 4.x code today. When you upgrade to 5.x the APs will need to take the NEW code and reboot. So the APs will be offline for a few minutes.

If you have a backup controller, perhaps you can fail all the APs to the backup 4.x controller. Upgrade the controller and move a few APs over at a time to the new controller so its not a all down situation.

Also if you upgrade from 4.x to 5.x, you may want to consider a WCS upgrade as well.

If you are using AP groups under 4.x and move to 5.x i (HEARD)you may need to reconfigure the groups.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tricia,

You are faced with two options:

1. Upgrade the WLC firmware. As what's posted by others, particularly George's comment, it is noteworthy to also upgrade the bootstrap. Unfortunately, the upgrading the bootstrap isn't straightforward and you need to upgrade everyone of them.

2. You can also wait for the Autonomous IOS version to be released. I guess this option is moot since you already have a WLC. But if this is just a one-and-only model and no further model is needed, then I guess this is the "lesser of two evil".

Our Cisco SE here is telling us the Autonomous 1142s will be released in the next 3 - 4 weeks ...

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card