Views
Helpful
Replies

dhcp options 66 and 67 on WLC

anderson691
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I know this is probably a dumb question before I ask it, but is there a WLC out there that supports dhcp options 66 and 67 (PXE boot)? Better yet, is there a convienent list of dhcp options that a WLC can support? I'm having issues with my local windows dhcp server and I would like to push as many of my scopes to local WLC's as possible.

Thanks so much for the help in advance!

-Tim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tim

The dhcp server on the wlc is very simple. It doesn't support these vendor options.

I've had issues using the wlc as a dhcp sever and always recommend not using it ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

grabonlee
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco controllers can act as dhcp server. You will find the Internal DHCP server scope configurable option under the Controller Tab. You have to also enable DHCP proxy on the controller for it to work. This is found under the Controller ---> Advanced------ > DHCP sub menu.

Thank you for your reply!

I know how to configure the internal dhcp server/proxy, but I'm wondering if that internal dhcp server can push options 66 and 67 safely to my wireless clients from the controller.

Thanks!

Tim

The dhcp server on the wlc is very simple. It doesn't support these vendor options.

I've had issues using the wlc as a dhcp sever and always recommend not using it ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

The WLC will not push any options to your clients. It is intended to handle bootp requests and assign IP addresses as specified in your scope. There no additional vendor options as obtainable in a windows DHCP server

anderson691
Level 1
Level 1

I kinda figured as much after delving into the feature, but held a some hope that it was more robust than it seemed. Thank you George and Osita for the clarification!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card