Views
Helpful
Replies

Did not get log server settings from DHCP and AP not Connecting to Controller

Stephencd
Level 1
Level 1

HI Folks

Have a WLC 2504 and some AP C3602 and I am getting this message on the AP  Did not get log server settings from DHCP

DHCP is configured with Option 43 and DNS with the CAPWAP and LWAPP but still getting this error.

Translating "CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.XXXX.XXXX.XXX"...domain server ()
*Dec  9 01:17:55.871: %CAPWAP-5-DHCP_OPTION_43: Controller address 10.XXX.XXX.21 obtained through DHCP
*Dec  9 01:17:55.871: %CAPWAP-5-DHCP_OPTION_43: Controller address 10.XXX.XXX.22 obtained through DHCP
*Dec  9 01:17:55.871: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Did not get log server settings from DHCP.

I have the MAC address added to the AAA on the WLC, and looked at other forums on tips but same error everytime. Any Ideas

I've ran a debug I can see the Requests from the access point but seems to not register with the controller.

Thanks Ste

3 Replies 3

Daniel McDavid
Level 1
Level 1

You can optionally send a syslog destination address in your DHCP options. This message is simply stating that the AP did not receive that option in its DHCP transaction. If it doesn't receive a syslog address, it will default to 255.255.255.255. If your APs are particularly chatty and in a large broadcast domain, best practice is to send those to a proper syslog server or dump it to some unicast address (e.g., default gateway). 

Thanks but AP Still will not connect to the controller.?

You should be able to SSH into the AP and view the logs to get a better idea of why is isn't joining. The WLC should have some logs as well. You said you ran some debugs - what are they saying?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card