cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between CCKM and WPA key management

pblume
Level 1
Level 1

What is the difference between Cisco's CCKM key management and WPA key managememt? I've read that CCKM is required for Cisco's proprietary Fast Reassociation feature, but that aside, is CCKM just Cisco's propriatary version of WPA key management? If I implement CCKM for a customer, will they be getting the same level of key management security as a customer with WPA key management implemented?

1 Reply 1

verdann
Level 1
Level 1

TKIP requires a key management method, one of which is specified by WPA. Its my understanding that cisco took the basic key management protocol of WPA and added on the functionality of caching these keys/credentials on the "subnet context manager" (a WDS access point) to enable a secure fast reassociation. Hence CCKM, cisco centralized key management. By not having to do a complete reauthentication and not needing to contact a (potentially) distant radius server, roaming is significantly faster. Its essentially adding an 802.11f-like (I think its still just an ieee draft for fast-reassociation) functionality ahead of the competition. I've been told that at its core it derives its data and eapol keys in the same manner as wpa, but I don't know of any independent public analysis of CCKM nor of any examination of its credential exchange.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card