cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Differences between Cisco Aironet 1250 and 1260??

rguzman.plannet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was just looking at the data sheets of both models but I honestly couldn't find big differences between them but the shape. I'll really appreciate if someone has any aditional information that helps me out to get this differences. I am about to have a presentation for a project in a warehouse and I need to present many different AP models.

Regards!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

How high from the ground will the antennas be installed? between 12 to 15 mts

That's too high.  Cisco recommends around 10 feet.  IF it's too high from the ground then you need to put alot more AP for coverage holes.

What are the walls made out of? there are several metallic racks that contain products like, snacks, beverage, liquor, caned food, detergents, shampoo, pets food... (it's a retail store warehouse)

Metal racks and canned goods.  Hmmmm ... You'll need to do a proper site survey.  How long are the aisle?

3.  What orientation will the antennas be installed? not sure what you mean by orientation, but they'll be installed in the celing

Cisco logo pointing to the floor.

5.  What's in this area?  Give us details or floor plans? our customer uses hand helds mostly symbol, some intermec, and a solution called VoCollect that runs "voice" picking and these terminals use only 802.11b at 2 and 5.5 Mbps

That's not going to be easy because there's going to be issues with 802.11b's inherit issue of 3 non-interfering channels in an area like a warehouse.  You'll need both 802.11a and 802.11b but not all AP's 802.11b will be enabled.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Both 1250 and 1260 can operate in Autonomous or controller-based network;

2.  Both 1250 and 1260 require external antennas (up to 3 antennas per radio);

3.  Not all antennas are supported on the 1260.  1260 will support antennas up to a maximum of 6 dBi.

4.  Both 1250 and 1260 support 802.11n and 2 x 3 MIMO;

5.  1250 radio modules can be removed;

6.  1250 require a 20.0w of PoE for full MCS rates (you can operate 1250 at 15.4w with both radios but lower MCS rates);

7.  1260 support 15.4w PoE power.

8.  1250 weighs like a ton of bricks.

9.  1250 and 1260 DO NOT support Cisco CleanAir.

So you would recommend 1260?

Also when can I find more info about MCS rates?

So you would recommend 1260?

Depends on your antenna requirement.  If you need to use antenna which has >6dBi peak gain then I am for a 1250.

Actually the suggestion is 5.2 dBi and I think, although we'll use only radio G, power would be an issue.

So I think 1260 would fit better. What do you think?

Also when can I find more info about MCS rates?

Configure 802.11n on the WLC

Actually the suggestion is 5.2 dBi and I think, although we'll use only radio G, power would be an issue.

What model of antenna are you planning to use?  5.2 dBi only?  What if I show you a single-unit, three pig-tail 6dBi antenna?

Cisco Aironet 5-GHz MIMO 6-dBi Patch Antenna (AIR-ANT5160NP-R)

Cisco Aironet 2.4-GHz MIMO 6-dBi Patch Antenna (AIR-ANT2460NP-R)

Do you have a special justification for it.

Any implications if I'll use'em in a warehouse environment?

Do you have a special justification for it.

Strong transmission power.

Any implications if I'll use'em in a warehouse environment?

There's alot of factors that will affect the propagation of wifi in this environment.

1.  How high from the ground will the antennas be installed?

2.  What are the walls made out of?

3.  What orientation will the antennas be installed?

4.  Dimension of the area where wifi is required?

5.  What's in this area?  Give us details or floor plans?

There's a very huge chance I'll recommend that you purchase 1:1 802.11a antennas for each AP.  There will be cases where some AP's 802.11b radios will be disabled due to availability of channels.

1.  How high from the ground will the antennas be installed? between 12 to 15 mts

2.  What are the walls made out of? there are several metallic racks that contain products like, snacks, beverage, liquor, caned food, detergents, shampoo, pets food... (it's a retail store warehouse)

3.  What orientation will the antennas be installed? not sure what you mean by orientation, but they'll be installed in the celing

4.  Dimension of the area where wifi is required? there are many wharehouses like this and they have different sizes but must be about 25,000 m2

5.  What's in this area?  Give us details or floor plans? our customer uses hand helds mostly symbol, some intermec, and a solution called VoCollect that runs "voice" picking and these terminals use only 802.11b at 2 and 5.5 Mbps

How high from the ground will the antennas be installed? between 12 to 15 mts

That's too high.  Cisco recommends around 10 feet.  IF it's too high from the ground then you need to put alot more AP for coverage holes.

What are the walls made out of? there are several metallic racks that contain products like, snacks, beverage, liquor, caned food, detergents, shampoo, pets food... (it's a retail store warehouse)

Metal racks and canned goods.  Hmmmm ... You'll need to do a proper site survey.  How long are the aisle?

Cisco logo pointing to the floor.

That's not going to be easy because there's going to be issues with 802.11b's inherit issue of 3 non-interfering channels in an area like a warehouse.  You'll need both 802.11a and 802.11b but not all AP's 802.11b will be enabled.

lol thanks for such encouraging comments yeah I was actually thinking in wall mounting antennas like AIR-ANT2460P-R but there are not safe places to install them and I am afraid that if I install them at 10 ft they might be crashed by forklifts specially if I set them on the rack structure.

Well I think I am gonna close the discussion I really appreciate your suggestions and the information you shared with me. If you have any good document or a "study case" of how to perform a Site Survey/design in such an environment that would be really helpful.

Regards!

I am afraid that if I install them at 10 ft they might be crashed by forklifts

You don't need to install them in the middle of the aisle or something.  Install the antennaes from a stable structure of the racks can work.  Just make sure the Cisco logo is pointing to the floor.

There was another person who posted a similar issue about warehouse and racks.  My thoughts were to put alternate number of APs per aisle:  2 APs on aisle A, 3 APs on aisle B, 2 APs on aisle C, 3 APs on aisle D, etc.

I'm no expert on price but have you compared the value of the 1260 and the 3500e?

Regarding site survey, I'd recommend you hire someone to do it because if the results are incorrect, then you are not in trouble.  Take it from me, take the report with a grain of salt.  I know some wireless site survey are very good but sometimes the people you hire to conduct the survey will "pad" the report for financial reasons.

And thank you for the ratings.

Thanks I'll take all your comments into consideration.

Regards!

This EOL Announcement states that some models of the 1260 APs are indeed Cleanair capable.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1260-series/end_of_life_notice_c51-727739.html

This EOL Announcement states that some models of the 1260 APs are indeed Cleanair capable.

1260 do NOT support CleanAir.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: