cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

directing an AP to a specific WLC

Steven Shelton
Level 1
Level 1

We have recently implemented a N+N controller configuration.  I expected to configure the test APs High Availability option with a primary controller of the new WLC and secondary as the current production WLC, then reset the test AP to have it join the new controller.  I'm monitoring the test AP console messages during reboot to see if there is a message indicating it's trying to join the new controller.  It seems the test AP, which previously has joined the production AP, makes no attempt to use the pre-configured primary/secondary controllers, it goes directly to the production controller.

The goal is the verify APs will join the controller before making changes to DHCP with option 43. Am it going about this in the correct manner?

Thank you 

16 Replies 16

Master controller is not enabled.  I noticed yesterday the prod WLC was running 7.6.100 and the test WLC was on 7.6.130.  After downgrading the test WLC to 7.6.100 the issue remains.  The prod WLC has 498 APs, the primary/sec controllers are defined under the High Availability option on the test AP, show capwap client config verifies the HA option is set, after rebooting the test AP it joins the prod WLC.

If your ap has joined the one controller, then adding the new wlc hostname (case sensitive) and the ip address in the ap's high availability tab, the ap will try to join that controller.  That is the process.  If it doesn't, then make sure you have licenses active on the test unit.  If the test unit is an HA sku, you need to activate the license so that in the GUI main page, you will see 500 ap support, or else you will see 0 ap support.

Another option is to console into the ap and issue the following: capwap ap controller ip <test controller ip> or test capwap controller ip <ip address>

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card