cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
StuartR
Beginner

Disabling 802.11ac

Hi All,

I'm deploying 3700 AP into an existing older network. Some of the AP's will be connecting to 100mb ports. I'm wandering if or how I should disabled 802.11ac on selected AP's?

Thanks

Stuart

5 REPLIES 5
Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

I'm wandering if or how I should disabled 802.11ac on selected AP's?

Think about it ... If the APs are going to be connected on 100 Mbps ports, then what happens if there is a client that will support 2 x 3 802.11n?  

My recommendation is this:  If the AP doesn't have 1 Gbps uplink, then don't waste time and money, do not put any APs there because the wireless clients will be having non-stop complaints.  It ain't worth the hassle.

Thanks Leo,

I know there will be issues, but the AP's are being installed now, and the network will be upgraded at a later stage. Until then, I need to manage the lack of bandwidth to the AP's. I'm looking for the best way to do this on the WLC.

Regards,

Stuart

Leo Laohoo
VIP Community Legend

Won't make a difference.  802.11a/b/g/n/ac ... at the end of the day, 100 Mbps will be the bottleneck.  

Let's say you disable 802.11g/n/ac ... What is the highest speed attained of 802.11a.  How many 802.11a wireless client would it take to saturate a 100 Mbps uplink.  Do the maths.  They simply don't add up.  

It does sound like a pickle. If I were you perhaps turning off 11ac and 11n could be the best choice till you upgrade. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi,

Did you monitor your switchport to see what volume of traffic you are seen on that ? If you getting constant ~100Mpbs, then expedite your switch upgrade plan.

I would not bother disabling 802.11n/802.11ac.

If you really want to do that, you can simply disable WMM on your WLAN. So that will prevent client getting 802.11n/802.11ac data rates

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Content for Community-Ad