Views
Helpful
Replies

Disabling 802.11ac

StuartR
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm deploying 3700 AP into an existing older network. Some of the AP's will be connecting to 100mb ports. I'm wandering if or how I should disabled 802.11ac on selected AP's?

Thanks

Stuart

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'm wandering if or how I should disabled 802.11ac on selected AP's?

Think about it ... If the APs are going to be connected on 100 Mbps ports, then what happens if there is a client that will support 2 x 3 802.11n?  

My recommendation is this:  If the AP doesn't have 1 Gbps uplink, then don't waste time and money, do not put any APs there because the wireless clients will be having non-stop complaints.  It ain't worth the hassle.

Thanks Leo,

I know there will be issues, but the AP's are being installed now, and the network will be upgraded at a later stage. Until then, I need to manage the lack of bandwidth to the AP's. I'm looking for the best way to do this on the WLC.

Regards,

Stuart

Won't make a difference.  802.11a/b/g/n/ac ... at the end of the day, 100 Mbps will be the bottleneck.  

Let's say you disable 802.11g/n/ac ... What is the highest speed attained of 802.11a.  How many 802.11a wireless client would it take to saturate a 100 Mbps uplink.  Do the maths.  They simply don't add up.  

It does sound like a pickle. If I were you perhaps turning off 11ac and 11n could be the best choice till you upgrade. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi,

Did you monitor your switchport to see what volume of traffic you are seen on that ? If you getting constant ~100Mpbs, then expedite your switch upgrade plan.

I would not bother disabling 802.11n/802.11ac.

If you really want to do that, you can simply disable WMM on your WLAN. So that will prevent client getting 802.11n/802.11ac data rates

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card