Views
Helpful
Replies

Distance need to be covered without wire and mesh

asif.naveed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have AIR-AP1231-A-K9(Obviously FAT).I need to be covered two distances (100 meter and 50 meter).Is there any possibility we can use Bridging or Repeater and Standby AP and extend the signals upto required distance.But main thing is client dont want to purchase anything he want to use his existing above mentioned 6 APs.

Please reply....

3 Replies 3

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

So you would like to extend your cell coverage without additional purchases.

Sounds to me you may want to try and use the 1231 in repeater mode. A few things to keep in mind, you will need power in the place you plan to install the 1231 (repeater). Also keep in mind cisco recommends 50% cell over lap between the main ap and the repeater, you should also expect a 50% throughput loss in data from clients using the repeater.

If you want to use the bridge; i would use 802.11a to bridge the traffic from ap to ap and have the 802.11g radio serve clients or other way around...

Lots of ways to skin this cat ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks

But one Question more How many hopes can be in bridging mode ?

i-e- one is bridge then how many others can be repeater mode ?

Regards

Keep in mind, you will half your throughput each time you add a repeater. I have done up to 4 before and for the customers app it worked fine (telnet session).

I don't recall seeing a limit, but there may be one.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin