cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Diversity and trying to conver two different areas

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

So the whole purpose of diversity is to provide/improve coverage in a same area.  Basically two antennas placed with a reasonable distance from each other and the concept is that one antenna might receive a better signal than other and then both signals can be combined to get a single stream.  End result better communication.

Now something I have noticed that people are doing is taking the two antennas and putting them like 25 to 50 feet apart with diversity enabled trying to cover two different areas.  At times two different rooms so like one antenna is in one room and second one is in another room with a concrete wall between them.  Apparently they are saying that it is working for them.  I'm trying to understand the logic behind that how something like that wouldn't cause issues unless they have clients only on one side?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've seen set-ups like this before and people at the site can (and will) say that it's "working".  

Until I get a wireless sniffer out or do some scanning, it seldom works.  They will say that it's working purely for political (don't want to get themselves into trouble) and/or financial (they can't afford to put two APs) or both.  

This may work (somewhat) in 802.11a/b/g but stick 802.11n/ac and I'm certain it won't work.  When I mean it won't work, I mean you won't see the full benefit of connection speeds of >155 Mbps. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've seen set-ups like this before and people at the site can (and will) say that it's "working".  

Until I get a wireless sniffer out or do some scanning, it seldom works.  They will say that it's working purely for political (don't want to get themselves into trouble) and/or financial (they can't afford to put two APs) or both.  

This may work (somewhat) in 802.11a/b/g but stick 802.11n/ac and I'm certain it won't work.  When I mean it won't work, I mean you won't see the full benefit of connection speeds of >155 Mbps. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card