Replies

Do I need to upgrade FUS?

Raul Tamayo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I have a WLC 5508 with this sysinfo:

(Cisco Controller) >show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 8.0.152.0

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.20

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.6.95.16

Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.7, Env 1.8, USB console 2.2

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

I want to upgrade to product version (Cisco wireless release) 8.2.170.0

My question is: Do I have to upgrade the FUS (Field Upgrade Software)?

Thanks.

Raul Tamayo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is what the release notes are for.  It provides you with a direction.  Typically it is just the FUS for a certain code version and that is what you need to look at.  So when you look at the FUS release notes and then the image you want to go with.  Both should align.  The main piece is this Bootloader Version.  So you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to and just upgrade the image.  If you feel like you want to upgrade the "Field Recovery Image Version", then follow the directions as while you are on the console, you can bypass the items that are already upgraded.  

What could happen if I tried to upgrade the software controller without upgrading the FUS first?

Nothing, since you are already on 1.0.20

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No need.  FUS is already 1.0.20.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn82mr7.html#80389

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

It's not the question you're asking but why would you want to upgrade to 8.2.170.0?

If you have very old APs then they should all still be supported on 8.3.150.0 but check https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#ctr-ap_support

If you don't need to support very old APs then you should seriously consider 8.5 as per https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-tac-recommended-aireos.html

You'll get a whole lot of fixes and a version which is still supported.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add.  There is great info that was posted here for you to review.  The one thing you also need to know is that the FUS image upgrades multiple items.  If you look at what you have and the release notes for the FUS 1.9 version, you will see that one of your items is not the latest.  This doesn't mean you have to perform the upgrade, just understand what is included during the upgrade.

Release Notes for Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Field Upgrade Software for Release 1.9.0.0 - Cisco

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.6.95.16 >> 7.6.101.1

-Scott

That's my concern. Is it really necesary to upgrade the FUS so the WLC have the Field Recovery Image Version 7.6.101.1 or can it work with the 7.6.95.16 version?

What could happen if I tried to upgrade the software controller without upgrading the FUS first?

That is what the release notes are for.  It provides you with a direction.  Typically it is just the FUS for a certain code version and that is what you need to look at.  So when you look at the FUS release notes and then the image you want to go with.  Both should align.  The main piece is this Bootloader Version.  So you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to and just upgrade the image.  If you feel like you want to upgrade the "Field Recovery Image Version", then follow the directions as while you are on the console, you can bypass the items that are already upgraded.  

Nothing, since you are already on 1.0.20

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card