cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need to use a layer 3 switch for IGMP snooping to set up IPv6 between a Cisco WLC 2504 LAP and the wired network?

Sam Brynes
Level 1
Level 1

We are running 8.5.140.0 on a Cisco WLC 2504.

Wired clients are using SLAAC by using router advertisement packets to give themselves IPv6 addresses, and IPv6 works. IPv6 on the WLAN doesn't work for some reason.

This document talks about setting up multicast on Cisco 2504 WLANs and makes a reference to IPv6.

Do I need to use a layer 3 switch with IGMP snooping to enable multicast packets to pass from the WLAN controller to the LAP to enable IPv6 router advertisements to be sent on the VLANs? Or will a layer 2 switch work fine?

3 Replies 3

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
First of all, you should enable IPv6 on the WLC under Controller - General. Then you also have some RA functions under Controller - IPv6.
More detailed information is here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/113427-cuwn-ipv6-guide-00.html

Ok, I followed all those steps, but I still can't see IPv6 router advertisement packets come through on the Wireshark.

I remember seeing something about configuration on the switch to enable multicast routing as a requirement. I have a layer 2 switch, so I'm not sure if that would even be supported?

No that is not needed on a pure L2 device.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card