cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does APs needs to communicate on Layer2

Gucamole
Level 1
Level 1

We are working on blocking communication within the same VLAN, so two hosts on the same VLAN will not be able to communicate with each other. I know we can do a Layer2 host block via AP but this is more from the switch. 

We have many access points (APs) on a single VLAN. Do the APs need to communicate with each other(layer2)? If so, for what purpose?  Like do APs need to communicate for RF changes, client roaming, broadcast, multicast etc? That's what I am trying to understand. 

Can someone confirm?

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If you have a controller then the access points will mainly talk to the controller only ; there are a few cases where AP's may want to communicate with each other such as mentioned in this example : https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/ap-communication-during-roaming/td-p/951754

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Also when APs do Flexconnect Efficient Image Upgrade the APs fetch the image from a neighbouring AP using TFTP.

I just noticed that you tagged your post with Meraki so that leads to the question: what type of AP (Cisco or Meraki) and if Cisco then what type of WLC and software version?
If Meraki then https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Campus/WhitePaper-Deploying-Cisco-Meraki-Cloud-AP-SDA-2019MAR.pdf says "The APs send untagged frames on the Ethernet trunk to communicate with the cloud,
authentication, and other management infrastructure."  There' nothing specific about AP<->AP but I wouldn't rule it out.  If in doubt open a case with Meraki and let us know what the answer is.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Believe the Meraki will talk AP to AP if you happen to have the same SSID roaming accross different VLANs.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card