Views
Helpful
Replies

End Devices not connecting to nearby Access Points

smdsadiq23
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have seen end devices not connecting to nearby Access Point but connect to Access Point which 13meter away from the device.

Also seen latency on the data transfer due to this.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@smdsadiq23 wrote:

I have seen end devices not connecting to nearby Access Point but connect to Access Point which 13meter away from the device.

Also seen latency on the data transfer due to this.

Not really a lot of useful information about the issue.  

In a setup 10 AP's are configured with dual band frequency.

Device which are closer to A AP will get connected to random AP in the same network even A is closer.

When they connect to different AP latency is been noticed.

You said "Device" -- Singular form.  So only ONE (1) wireless client? 

Gotta give me more information other than this.  You're being very "private" about it all. 

I am about to stop if I feel this is going to be a game of "20 Questions"

What are you expecting I guess? The client device makes the decision on what ap it will associate to. The wireless system does not control that. If you search the forum, you will see recommendations to disable the lower data rates, maybe reduce power or update the device driver. Your question is very vague and hard to answer as it can be many things. Bottom line is, your ap placements must be in an ideal location.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Near Ap have alot  client connect to it and far away ap have few so client choose far away ap not near.

@MHM Cisco World wrote:

Near Ap have high client connect to it and far away ap have few so client choose far away ap not near.

This behaviour is very common when the wireless NIC cards of laptops have never (ever) been updated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card