Views
Helpful
Replies

Error when Reset WLC password

arikawahyono
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I Have problem when try to reset password WLC, when i try to reset error message is appear

"Error:Either you are trying to add an existing entry or an internal error happened.

You can either reset the system, or go to the login prompt

Would you like to reset the system[y/n]:n"

My WLC series is  AIR-WLC4402-50-K9 with Cisco AireOS Version 7.0.98.218.

Anybody have experience like this before?

Thanks,

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How are you trying to reset the password?  You don't have access to the CLI or GUI anymore or you just trying to reset one of the internal logins?  If you don't know the login and can't access the gui or cli, you need to reset the WLC and configure it from scratch.  No other way around that.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Arika,

Did you use the following syntax to change the password ? If so it should not ask for a reset system

(WLC2) >config mgmtuser password

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses *****

arikawahyono
Level 1
Level 1

@Scott, Yes, I dont have access to wlc with gui and cli anymore, i had reset the wlc before with same type and everything is work now. do you have any solution without the configure from start again?

@Rasika, i cant login the wlc with gui and cli.

Thanks,

If you had a backup config, you can edit that in a text editor by entering a line for the username the Rasika posted:

config mgmtuser password

and then after you go through the initial startup wizard and have GUI access, you can upload the backup to the WLC.  You need a trailing white space after each command in the backup file you wish to restore.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

arikawahyono
Level 1
Level 1

@Scott, but i dont have the backup config,

do you have any suggestion?

Arika,

There is nothing you can do.  You will have to either leave it alone until something happens or start over from scratch.  I wish I had a better answer for you, but there just isn't a way for you to recover the password.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

This is a problem that happened to me a week ago, my question is:
 ¿Are the APs licenses lost?
¿How can I recover the licenses for 25 APs?
Thanks for your guidance.

ur using same account which is already exists that's y you r getting that error. please try to configure different username and password. will work

Yes. venkat9959 is correct. I have had same error when I tried to Restore-Password of Cisco 5508 Controller. I've tried configure different username and password and it worked. Now I'm able to access WLC on both CLI&GUI mode with the credentials that I created. :-)

(Note: This is not a password recovery, but just adding another local account with read & write access)

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Rangaraj

For me it was not successful, I still have problems with the user.
I have decided to restore the configuration, but what about the licenses?
someone knows?

You will need to restore the license if it is missing.  Restoring the config should not affect the license.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card