cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EWC Access Points in Layer 3 Mode?

brettp
Level 1
Level 1

I am researching Cisco EWC APs. After reading some of the documentation, I am a little confused. The initial configuration, assuming we have separate Employee and Guest SSIDs / VLANs / Networks, notes the AP should be connected to a switch via a trunk allowing those 3 VLANs (one management as native VLAN, one Employee VLAN, one Guest VLAN.) This implies Layer 2 functionality.

We currently have a physical Cisco controller operating in Layer 3 mode. There are two Employee and Guest SSIDs / VLANs / Networks, however it doesn’t matter from which SSID, the traffic originates… The 802.11 frame from the client hits the AP, is encapsulated in CAPWAP, and sent to the controller. The AP connects itself physically to an access port, not a trunk. The traffic always comes from the same AP IP regardless of SSID and hits the same Controller IP. At the controller, the CAPWAP packet is decapsulated and frame sent out on the wire on the appropriate VLAN for the SSID.

Do the EWC APs not function the same way as our current controller set up? It seems to me it’s all layer 2 if the AP needs to connect to a trunk? How does IP addressing for the actual AP work then? Does it require an individual IP for every SSID or does the AP acting as controller just need the management IP?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you described is using a controller in local mode.  Think of it this way, the EWC is like FlexConnect where the ap's will need to be on a trunk port and traffic is not sent to a single ap that is your controller.  Traffic is send from the device to the ap and then out to the switch the ap is connected to.  Traffic does not go back to a controller.  So look at the EWC guides and also look at the FlexConnect guides to get a better understanding of the difference between local and FlexConnect/Bridge.  That is where you are getting confused on.  

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you described is using a controller in local mode.  Think of it this way, the EWC is like FlexConnect where the ap's will need to be on a trunk port and traffic is not sent to a single ap that is your controller.  Traffic is send from the device to the ap and then out to the switch the ap is connected to.  Traffic does not go back to a controller.  So look at the EWC guides and also look at the FlexConnect guides to get a better understanding of the difference between local and FlexConnect/Bridge.  That is where you are getting confused on.  

-Scott

Ah, ok. I am familiar with FlexConnect so that is a good comparison. Thank you for the explanation!

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Keep in mind that this is not layer 3, its still layer 2.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card