cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failed Console Connection on AIR-CAP1702I-Q-K9 (Autonomous)

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would like to request your assistance and expert insights.

I'm experiencing an issue with the AIR-CAP1702I-Q-K9. When I connect the console cable to it and attempt to operate it via the terminal, it fails to respond. A few minutes after startup (when the equipment's LED indicator starts flashing green), I connect the console cable to the console port, but there is no response on the terminal, even after pressing the Enter key.

Similarly, if the device is powered off, connected to the console port, and then started, it does not display the boot status and does not accept any input.

Moreover, when I connect to the console port of another Cisco product (an L3 switch) using the same cable and PC, it functions normally, so it seems that the issue is not with the console cable or the terminal settings. Additionally, I am able to connect to the device via Telnet, and I can input commands and change settings, which indicates that the device is not broken.

Thank you for your advice.

[Reference via Telnet]

ap#show version
Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (AP3G2-K9W7-M), Version 15.3(3)JC2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2016 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 20-Jun-16 14:00 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is C1700 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C1700 Boot Loader (AP3G2-BOOT-M) LoaderVersion 15.3() [ TRUE]

ap uptime is 10 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/ap3g2-k9w7-mx.153-3.JC2/ap3g2-k9w7-xx.153-3.JC2"
Last reload reason:

2.png

1.png

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Cisco APs can be picky concerning the type and or brand of the particular console cable. Try another one , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

To expand on Marce's answer:
Mostly only cables which use a genuine FTDI chipset and driver work well with Cisco APs.
Before buying a cable check the reviews to confirm that somebody has tested that cable to confirm that it will work with a Cisco AP.

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

As the two of them pointed out, the USB serial conversion cable was replaced with another one, and the connection was successful.
It was a blind spot because it was used in other Cisco products (L3SW).

Thank you to the two people who led us to solve the problem.
x.png

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card