cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fast secure roaming protocols?

MUQ_1899_
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, which is the most used protocol for "secure fast roaming"? Or which protocol do the most devices support in 2017?

Do you have any statistics what percent of the new devices event support some kind of secure fast roaming?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Due to adaptation from manufacturers, the best way to proceed is to look at the oldest to newest. We have played around with k/v/r and to be honest, there are still some devices that are out there that don't support them.  I know from my experience implementing wireless as a consultant, manufacturing and distribution centers have the oldest devices I have seen and sometimes even hospitals. So take a look at your environment and if you control the devices, that is a plus. I think K/V are okay to deploy but R is what can get tricky to deploy as it may cause issues with devices that don't support R.  

I also believe that if you have a solid RF, that means enough density and optimized well, you don't need these features.  However, if you can implement them and have no issues with bugs or device support, why not.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Due to adaptation from manufacturers, the best way to proceed is to look at the oldest to newest. We have played around with k/v/r and to be honest, there are still some devices that are out there that don't support them.  I know from my experience implementing wireless as a consultant, manufacturing and distribution centers have the oldest devices I have seen and sometimes even hospitals. So take a look at your environment and if you control the devices, that is a plus. I think K/V are okay to deploy but R is what can get tricky to deploy as it may cause issues with devices that don't support R.  

I also believe that if you have a solid RF, that means enough density and optimized well, you don't need these features.  However, if you can implement them and have no issues with bugs or device support, why not.

-Scott 

-Scott

Thank you for the answer!!!

Do you have any experience with "hybrid SSIDs" - configuring FT and non-FT 802.1X key management at the same time? It is supported scenario but I cannot find any real world feedback.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card