cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fast SSID change delay

GeneBeamer
Level 1
Level 1

So I just upgraded to code 7.0.230 from an older code. Now I have a problem where i have a delay before I can change from one SSID to another, unless I turn on FAST SSID.... Can someone tell me where in the world I can change the delay setting?  I have found no documentation on the length of the delay, just that there is a delay between switching from one SSID to another.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From what I know, you can't change the timers for that setting.  Its either enabled or disabled.  You are right about having to enable that when switching to different SSID's, but its wierd that it worked before and you didn't have that enabled.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From what I know, you can't change the timers for that setting.  Its either enabled or disabled.  You are right about having to enable that when switching to different SSID's, but its wierd that it worked before and you didn't have that enabled.

-Scott

Most likely part of the issues found in 4.2.209 code. We reported several to Cisco for that code... I will just have to keep it enabled i guess... Still annoyed that there is not more information on the delay length and how to adjust if you can.

Well I think its normally only used for IT people when testing SSID's or wanting to switch to a non-filtered guest network.  Most of the time, you want devices to only have one wireless profile in your network to avoid the client devices switching to a different SSID and then users complaining they lost their drives, etc.  Decreasing the timers I would think would cause more of an issue in some environments especailly if the wireless profile isn't locked down.  You know how it is... most users love to click on that open guest network and then that becomes the priority over the other SSID they are suppose to connect to.  Just my 2¢.

-Scott

I tested the timeout and its around 20seconds.. I was more interested to know the length just because it was and UNKNOWN....  I hate the GUEST network.. We have students that click on that thing everytime with their laptops. It was also a nightmare they were able to get around our Web Auth by connecting to guest - connect to another ssid and enter in a false password - connect back to guest and BAM.. they were on the internet. Cisco said they see the bug now as well after chatting with them but they were not going to write it up because 4.2 code is done for. So now Im at 7.0 and at least the switching between quickly is fixed !!!    I love this 7.0.230 so far...The reporting is much much better..

7.0.230.0 seems to be a good code so far.  When you say 20 seconds, was that with it disabled or enabled?

-Scott

stanley_cwy
Level 1
Level 1

I also notice that. Prior to version 6 will work fine. From version 6 onward will have to enable fast ssid change, else the client will either unable to connect to the other ssid or able to connect but still holding the ip address of the previous ssid (which will eventually get disconnected).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card