Views
Helpful
Replies

Flex Connect Local Switching

roycemathew
Level 1
Level 1

hi All,

I have a scenario of Flex connect AP's in a site. This setup works fine with central switching. But doesn't work with local switching.

I would like to know what all needs to be done in getting this working perfectly.

Starting from Switch port config - i have a single vlan for AP management and WiFi users in 2 SSID's.

WLC is in remote site B.

Flex connect AP in site - 6 - 1242AG

When i change the SSID to local switching user is unable to open any of his application.He is able to do ping and trace.

But everything works well when this is changed to central.

ANy thoughts or idea. I am sure this wont be a big issue but for sure i am unable to overcome it.

Any help on this is much appreciated.

8 Replies 8

Hi,

If you want to do local switching you have to configure native vlan and vlan mapppings on the H-Reap AP.

-Change the AP mode to H-Reap

-Configure the ssid to support local switching under advanced tab.

-Configure switchport  the AP is connected to trunk  with native vlan the management vlan.

-Go to your AP-H-REAP tab,define the native vlan,apply and then configure the vlan mappings.

Hope this helps,

Christos.

Consider i have an ACL on the port connecting to a Flex-local AP. Will this affect the traffic?

The ACL allows only UDP and ICMP

Maybe this ACL is the cause that application doesn't work?

Have you tried to remove the ACL and test the application?

To remove the ACL and test Local switching is in my agenda for next change window, but do i need to mention VLAN mapping under AP - Flex connect tab when we have only one VLAN

Even if I have single vlan, I would follow the same principle what deployment guides suggest.

In that case still I would configure switchport  as trunk & make the AP managment vlan as native vlan across that trunk. Then on the vlan mapping tab make that as native vlan.

HTH

Rasika

** Pls rate all useful responses. Each time you rate a response Cisco will donate $1 to Kiva **

Hi 

With FlexConnect local switching, you have to configure user vlan & AP management vlan on branch switch & trunking those to AP connected switch port. You should not have any ACL on that port.

See whether you have configured FlexConnect Local switching setup correctly as outline by this example.(It is much more than tick Local Switching check box under WLAN advancecd config)

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/98646/wireless-lan-flexconnect-configuration-example

Here is another video explain this feature (H-REAP was the previous name for FlexConnect)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO2W8WQJ8Gs

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ***

hi

I have a single VLAN for AP Management and Wireless users. I have 2 SSID and single subnet.

Let me know if this design is not good. Do i need to still do VLAN Mapping when my switchport is access only.

Hello Rasika,

Reading the post and your comment i was wondering:

1 - Is necessary to create another another SVI with a AP/WLC management vlan on the branch office ?

I mean:

SVI for AP management VLAN: 10.0.0.1/28

Controller IP address: 10.0.0.2

SVI for native on branch 10.0.0.3

Sorry if this is a silly question.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card