cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flex connect question

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

If I were to go with the flex connect option versus the converged access option would I be loosing an capabilities or functionality?

I had been considering the converge access model but given the amount of locations I will have I am starting to rethink this.  I do need the traffic to terminate locally with the exception of guest traffic which will be sent to an anchor controller in the DMZ.

I am looking at over 50 locations and upwards of about 2000 AP's.  Current none of my switches support PoE.  I figured if I went with flex connect then I would just go with 3750's but obviously if I went with converged access I would need 3850's.

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Part of going with converged access is also using a 3850 or 3650 for your access which you can terminate the capwap tunnel.  You would still need a 5760 or 5508 to terminate the guest tunnel however.  This would be alomst an overhaul to your existing infrastructure if you go this route.  As far as parity with converged access and the WLC's, its not there yet and suppose to be there when v8.0 of the WLC's comes out.  Don't know of the time frame.  Going with a Flex7500 might be what you need and using FlexConnect if you are looking at overall cost.  PoE is suggested unless you plan on using a power injector of AC adaptor for each AP.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott,

Thank you for the information.  What do you mean by parity with converged access?

The main reason I mentioned the PoE was that we are going to replace all the closet switches.  I agree that it looks like it might come down to overall cost.

Again, thank you.

If I have to replace all my closet switches (because of non-PoE), I would always go with 3850 (since price wise no difference between 3750 & 3850) irrespective of whether I would enable WLC functionality in each of those Access Switches or not. If it is too expensive at least go with 3560 model with have WLC on it.

Feature wise you will be limited  to certain set of features in FlexConnect where as local mode gives much more features & scalability. So I would always prefer Local mode if those two option available. If it is a small branch where WLC is not justifiable then Flex Connect is a good design choice. But with Converged Access your access layer handle everything. So no dedicated hardware required for WLC functionality.

Having said that, keep in mind you have to design your CA well thinking about scalability, flexibility etc. Since it is too new there are not much good design documents to explain different design options.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi,

helpful information about converged access mode!

I need some info:

-can I deploy converged access with cisco flex 7500 centralized and cisco 3850 in remote office?

-in remote office, I need to connect phisically AP to C3850? so, maximum 48 AP for each switch C3850, or I can use also other switch of other vendor? I read a C3850 support 30 AP maximum...

thanks

Daniele

Hi Daniele,

-can I deploy converged access with cisco flex 7500 centralized and cisco 3850 in remote office?

No, you have to have either 5508 , WiSM2 or 5760 as MC or centralized controller.

-in remote office, I need to connect phisically AP to C3850? so, maximum 48 AP for each switch C3850, or I can use also other switch of other vendor? I read a C3850 support 30 AP maximum...

If you want to terminate CAPWAP on branch switch then you have to have either 3650/3850 & APs to be directly connected to the switch. Other vendors or indirectly connected AP won't be albe to register for those 3650/3850. If it is 48port switch you should be able to connect 48APs as long as you have engough power to feed all those 48AP

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card