Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect VLAN/ WLAN mapping isssues

aurlienperrot
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

I have some issues on my WLAN/VLAN configuration, and I hope that you can help me.

So, let me explain the situation and the configuration:

• I use a Cisco WLC 5520. This controller is located on my central site.
  • I just install a site, let’s call it site A. on this site I connect an Access Point (AIR-AP1852I-E-K9)
  • I can see the AP on my WLC, and I can add it to a flexconnect group.
  • I add this AP, on a group with the native VLAN 10 and the WLAN on the VLAN 20.
  • On my switch, I configured the port where the AP is connected, like that (it’s an aruba switch)
    • Untagged vlan 10
    • Tagged vlan 20

When I look into my VLAN, all the AP client goes to the VLAN 10 instead of the VLAN 20.

I try to put my port in tagged mode with the 2 VLAN on it but I just lost my AP on the WLC.

Do you, guys, have some ideas, why the don’t go to the VLAN 20 ?

Thanks for your answer!

Best regards

13 Replies 13

Anjana A
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

can you please check and confirm, whether in the controller

Wireless->particular -AP--> general-> flex connect>>native vlan--> vlan mapping--> against the particular ssid, the vlan 20 has been mapped or not?

regards,

Anjana

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

When I go the the specific AP, then to the flexconnect pages I have :

• The VLAN support option: check
  • The native VLAN ID is 20

But I have nothing when I go to the WLAN AVC mapping or to the VLAN name ID mapping.

Best regards

Aurélien  

Can you please update the screen shot of AP-> general> flexconnect> native vlan> vlan mapping.

Thankyou

Anjana

There is the screenshot of the VLAN MAPPINGWLC.png

Thank you

Aurélien

That looks right, you might want to span the port and take a packet capture. Have you verified vlan 20 works from that switch? You have any other site that works?
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I verify that VLAN 20 works and there is no problem. I will try to make a capture as you say.

This is the first site where we try that so I don't have any other site to compare, unfortunately.

BR

Aurélien

I have not tired to do this on an Aruba switch, but have in other switches from other vendors. Try to create a new FlexConnect Group so you can test with one/two AP's. Also try to tag different vlans and see if the traffic still hits the management vlan. Is the ip the device is receiving from the remote site vlan 20 or from the central site vlan 20? If its the latter, then the ap is not using an SSID that is defined for local switching.
-Scott

The AP and the user are receiving IP IP from the central site, and indeed, the Local switching option is not selected.

I will make some tests with different VLAN, when I will have someone on site.

BR

Aurélien

So just I be clear, your design is to have the AP’s in FlexConnect but the traffic should tunnel back to the central site? Or is the traffic suppose to be placed on the lock site network?
-Scott

Yes, that's the goal, I have all my services on the central site. So my client need to have access to this site and my internet connexion is also on the central site.

Well the best design for that is FlexConnect with local switching. Place the traffic on the local site network and then have routing route traffic back to the central site if needed. If you have the ssid not in local switching, then traffic will always gunnel back to the controller and route back to the remote site for local site resources. With local switching, it’s like how your wired traffic gets routed on your network.
-Scott

Thank's for this information, I will try that! If I'm right, I should activate the local switching option, and put the client's VLAN in the VLAN ID field.

BR

Aurélien

Yes, that is the best design for remote sites. If you don’t have local switching, it’s like leaving the ap in local mode.
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card