cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FRA on 3800's - disable micro cell capability

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

Is there any way of disabling the '0' radio on a 3802 from switching over to micro cell mode?  I have seen instances of the micro taking over from the '1' macro radio; and also where the micro comes and goes when the 2.4 coverage is considered excessive. 

I would at least like to evaluate the "non-migration" of the 0 radio to 5 ghz mode.

5 Replies 5

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
If you have a WLC managing the AP, here is the manual on how to enable and disable and fixing it:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_RRM_White_Paper/b_RRM_White_Paper_chapter_01000.html

I don't know if those commands also work for ME.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You can disable FRA globally.
Individually, go to the 2.4 Ghz radio and manually disable it.

Yeah, we have FRA disabled globally; but still see (at least based on Prime reporting) that the XOR 5 Ghz radio still kicks in; sometimes reporting more throughput than the primary radio on the same AP; sometimes even the ONLY data reported by Prime is on the XOR radio.
This could be a release-dependent issue - 8.2.164.0.

Please check the controller. If FRA is disabled, the micro 5.0 Ghz shouldn't kick in. The only time the micro 5.0 Ghz kicks in (when FRA is disabled) are:
1. It's a bug; or
2. Someone's manually enabled the micro 5.0 Ghz.
I'd recommend upgrading the firmware to 8.2.170.0 first and see if it's made any difference.

I wouldn't trust Prime fully with this report. Check additionally directly on the WLC itself, if the AP really changed the radio.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card