Views
Helpful
Replies

Funtioning and configuration of Staging controller

amitesh.pandey1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello people, 

I have an architecture where in there is one WLC located at the Data center and one at the site location. any LAP that is first joine to the network goes first to the DataCenter and when manually addition of the site WLC IP to the LAP and enabling it.- its joins the Site WLC. Below are my questions

• The Data Center WLC called as Staging controller.
    • how this controller is configured to command all the LAPs across the GLobe to join their respective WLC?
    • Doesn't the laps with different regulatory domain other than this WLC will cause issues?

I am more wooried about the configuration part. How it will be different for regular WLC. 

Thanks in advance!

Amitesh P

3 Replies 3

do you have different regulatory domain AP installed ? If AP regulatory domain mismatch, WLC configured country, then AP won't able to register to that WLC.

From out of the box, how do you register to to DC WLC, may be connecting to particular vlan where that WLC IP learn via DHCP ?

Once register, you have to change Primary, Secondary,  controller information in each AP (in WLC GUI  each AP High Availability tab). So it will go to the nominated controller afterwards 

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika,

Thansks for your explanation!

You are right when you say that once the AP is booted it  is first seen at the DC WLC and then the changes in the primary controller of the HA tab and enabling this AP.

However, I am still not able to construe that why such architecture is used when my site WLC is capable of it.

Also,how are the confiugration been done at the local WLC to first direct an AP to the DC WLC or my Local WLC does not even take part in directing it to the DC WLC. Is it the DHCP server that redirects to DC or something else.

My DC WLC is located in States and my local WLC is in India, the AP first goes to the DC WLC and then to India. So will my regulatory matter here?

thanks once again!

Regards!

Amitesh P

Hi Amitesh,

I am still not able to construe that why such architecture is used when my site WLC is capable of it

This may be the way it is initially setup, probably need to check with your guys who design it in that way.

how are the confiugration been done at the local WLC to first direct an AP to the DC WLC or my Local WLC does not even take part in directing it to the DC WLC 

It is not done by local controller. When new AP connect to your network, it has to learn WLC IP addresses to go & register. There are multiple methods, but DHCP optin 43 & DNS are most common. See below for more details on discovery mechanism & how they work

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/70333-lap-registration.html

My DC WLC is located in States and my local WLC is in India, the AP first goes to the DC WLC and then to India. So will my regulatory matter here? 

When staging, AP go & register to US controller. Since  then AP come & register to your local controller. Since LAP does not save any config locally, there are not implications when it properly register to your local controller.

But when a single WLC having multiple regulatory domain AP, then certain parameters set according to common values across regulatory domains, some time certain radio  won't come up. Therefore it is not recommended to have single controller for multiple regulatory domain AP

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card